Twenty years ago, I would awaken on Saturday morning, brush my teeth with my usual Crest toothpaste on my Oral B manual toothbrush, put on my bathrobe, make the Folgers coffee, feed the cats, fetch the newspaper from the driveway, turn on the morning network news on my 32” tube TV, fix breakfast, sit down at my dining room table to enjoy my cereal and read the paper. My land line telephone sat behind me on the kitchen counter and although I would get up to answer it, the long receiver cord would allow me to talk while sitting at the table. I would relax there for about an hour before launching into housecleaning mode. That Saturday routine pretty much prevailed for a third of my life.
My how things have changed!
Sitting at my computer this morning reading all the new Facebook posts from friends around the globe made me think about the shakeup that has occurred in my life over the past few years. The remarkable transformation is easily evidenced in the changes to my Saturday routine.
Now I still awaken, thankfully, but to a very different practice. I meditate for about 10 to 15 minutes. I brush my teeth with my Crest Extra-Whitening “Scope” toothpaste on my battery powered Colgate toothbrush. I put on my bathrobe, make the Starbucks (or Peet’s) coffee, feed the cats and the dogs, then I turn on the 52” flat screen HDTV and tune into whatever’s on Bravo. I fix breakfast and take it back to the big desk in my office. My iPhone sits next to my cereal bowl in case someone calls. I browse the morning news on my desktop or iPad while listening to Brazilian music on Pandora, then settle into Facebook to see what’s happening with all my friends and family who might have posted.
Today that stuff included:
- Charli’s first soccer game of the season
- Carilyn’s beautiful San Diego beach photo
- Pam D’s prediction of more hot weather today in Mission Viejo
- Dru’s cartoon about the financial plight of artists
- Dale’s comments about Bindi Sue and Dora
- Skye’s still ecstatic about her engagement to Sean
- Mitch’s farewell to a friend who passed away
- Anna of Montana’s gorgeous birthday photo
- Shannon B’s invitation to a Skirball photo session in LA
- Cousin Ted’s truck will race in Mexico
- Jayne’s picture of WalMart in Aberdeen, Scotland
- Katie F’s vintage 19th century photo of women seeking men
- Gene’s great dinner in Houston
- Billy G’s picture of a vintage VW bus he wants
- Billy V’s recommending a Pimsleur Approach video
- Billy B’s doing a sea trial on a yacht in Costa Rica
- Susan H had sushi at Joe’s last night
- Ashley’s clouds over Magic Island, Honolulu
- Pamela’s cowboy kids in Garner Valley
- Carlo’s at the Huntington Beach pier photographing the water
- Laura’s latest hilarious “Sawyerism”
- Hilda’s at Build-A-Bear Workshop with her little girls
- Larry B changed his profile picture
- Kathy H is headed to water aerobics
- Patricia F is getting her nails done in San Francisco
Seriously, all this was so much more fun, life-enriching and interesting to me than anything I ever read in the newspaper. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I do miss the smell of newsprint, but I so love reading about and understanding what’s happening right now with all my friends and family spread around the planet that I would not trade today’s routine for the one I had in 1993.
And what’s the best part? I haven’t even started cleaning house yet because my new Saturday morning routine now extends till noon!!
Has your routine changed? Please comment and let me know!